Substance use such as alcohol, bidi, cigarettes, chewable tobacco, marijuana etc. have been increasing among high school students in India, with the prevalence rates being as high as 12.5% (Tsering, Pal & Dasgupta, 2010). Addiction is on the rise and students in order to attain the substance start using illegal means such as stealing, bullying etc. to obtain money to buy the drugs. Participants feel helpless and inquire “How do we deal with children who come with drugs and cigarettes always? We have counselled, yet it falls on deaf ears. We have showed him movies with the after effects but he’s not stopping.” Awareness workshops on drugs and the impact of drugs should be carried out regularly in schools. Parents should be kept in loop and special help cells should be established for students to be able to seek counseling. Another aspect of addiction which now days has evolved however is technology addiction and misuse. With the era of smart phones, ipads, laptops, internet, live chatting, virtual gaming; many students get hooked and start spending great amount of time on their gadgets, neglecting the other tasks such as school work, studying, spending family time etc. which they should do. Technology acts as an aid, however the internet has also increased impulsive behavior and nowadays students seek instant gratification with everything being on their fingertips. Measures are needed to address and control these issues.
1. We have a hostel where we are having behavioral problems like stealing, Self-abuse drugs (Maybe), and many other strange issues, specifically with children who are coming from broken houses. Kindly send materials to deal with such children.
2. How should we deal with children who use drugs and cigarettes and are always under substance influence? We have tried to counsel them but it falls on deaf ears. We have showed him movies with the after effects but he’s not stopping. What can be done?
3. How to stop the children from using mobile and internet as they are wasting time on other things which are not important?
4. More children don’t like doing their reading home assignment. They like to violate the school rules and escape from the school. They don’t obey to their parent’s as well.
Maximum time is being spent in cyber cafes, on laptops, mobile, serials etc. why is this trend increasing?
5. Sir please tell me what is the solution for computer game and mobile game addiction?
6. Small children get addicted to T.V. and mobile games. How to keep this in check? What techniques can be used?
7. In the present world mobile/TV/Computer are most commonly used by each one of us in an extensive manner. How would we to convince our children to use it judiciously?
8. How to stop my child from using mobile phone?
9. Sir, do you think over use of internet / e-information is destroying creativity among young kids?
10. How can we prevent children from watch adult programs on TV or parent them from using internet?
11. What is the difference between desire and addiction?